Friday, July 13, 2007

¿Cowboy boots?

We have less than one week of training left until we swear in as official Peace Corps Volunteers at a hotel in Antigua. Next Friday we are moving to Salcaja to begin our 2 years of service. This week has been packed with last minute training. We had a day of Mayan culture and language (since most of us will be living in areas where a Mayan language is spoken by at least some if not all of the population). Salcaja is about 40 percent indigenous. There was a day dedicated to AIDS/HIV education and prevention as this is a very important side project for Peace Corps Guatemala. We also had the opportunity to go to a little town out side of Antigua, Pastores, know for their cowboy boots. Three months ago I would never have believed that I'd be buying a pair of cowboy boots... but here I am sitting here writing this blog wearing my new pair of boots. Mosiah got a pair too, of course. The entire town of Pastores is lined with stores selling the boots, however I was told that though the people of Pastores make the boots famous throughout Guatemala, they do not actually wear them... The hand made boot cost only Q300 about $45 so if anyone planning on visiting wants to get a pair, we'll be happy to take you.






3 comments:

chris said...

holy crap -- what awesome boots. I am totally buying like 4 pairs when we come and visit!

Anonymous said...

hi. I was googling photos of Salacja to show my fiance and found your blog. So I want to say hello - since I was the first PCV to serve in Salcaja. I served in Healthy Schools and COSed in May 2005 and want to tell you that you are going to an amazing town. I loved my time there and still (obviously) find myself nostalgic. Feel free to email me -whuys21@yahoo.com - with any questions about the area or people. Best of luck and give my saludos to Don Byron at Rapi Pan!

billy

Kris said...

Guatemala!.. Antigua!!.. I'm joining the Peace Corps, I'm scheduled to head to Africa in September... But I went to Guatemala for 3 1/2 weeks back in January. Oh how I miss it! If you ever get the chance to climb volcano Pacaya (don't climb any mountain or volcano without a guide), or if you get the chance to visit Panajachel definitely do!

I'm really excited for you! Just thought I'd pass that on! ;)