Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Last Days of Training

Well training is winding down and we have finally had sometime to breathe. Actually, I find myself bored now that I do not have every moment scheduled for me. We had our last day at the center and we are glad to report that we both passed our Spanish exams and are all ready to go out to our sites after swearing in on Thursday. The strange thing about swearing in is that it is surprisingly similar to the oath that the army takes. I suppose it makes sense, but it is very easy to forget that we are working for the US Government.

There has been a lot of emotion with our families surrounding swearing in. My family (Mosiah) was good enough to throw us a pizza going away party. It was complete with gifts and followed by a tour of the local fair. After, we were told how grateful they were for our service and how they know that we will go on to do great things for Guatemala. Wow! Talk about pressure. I guess it really put things into perspective for me. Not only do we have a chance to have a great experience with our jobs, but we also have an obligation to try to find some way to improve the lives of people around us. How…? Who knows, but I suppose we have some time to figure it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a really great time and doing a lot of good for the country. Rexene

Anonymous said...

hey...no pressure just living the adventure. Congratulations on changing to PCV

love
dad

Anonymous said...

Hello you two!

Congrats again for making it to PCV!
I know it has been a lot of work and a mind boggling experience trying to learn a new language so quickly!!!
We are so proud of you!
Lots of love!!!
Mom