Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Thinking of Leaving Magdalena

We are sitting at the training site awaiting our site assignments. In some ways I am very excited and in others I am a little sad. I know that I have not mentioned this before, but I have grown attached to my host family and I think that I am really going to miss being in their home. I am especially going to miss my best Guatemalan friend, Marvin. Sure he is 4 but I it helps that we have about the same Spanish language ability.
Everyday when I get home from work he has some activity planned for us. Some days we draw, other days we color, but more than anything he loves to play soccer. Now only if I can get my future students to make me laugh as much as he does.
The rest of my host family is amazing. They are so kind and generous that sometimes I feel like they are getting a raw deal. Not only do they provide me a space to live, food, and laundry; but they also provide laughter, conversation and truly care for Kelly and me. All I can really do is hope that our next family is as wonderful and hospitable as the Martinez family has been.

5 comments:

chris said...

Congrats on your new town. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. I didn't realize you'd live with a family in our new place as well. Is it the same family for two years?

We're off to Seattle/Vancouver on Sat for Canada Day and the 4th. Talk to you soon-

chris

kelly montoya said...

It's recommended that we live with a family for the first 3 months in our new town in order to integrate with the community more easily. After that we can live on our own. We're going to look for an apartment in a family compound so we're not just renting a room. I'm ready for a bit more privacy!

Have fun in the PNW!

Sarah said...

so great to hear another update. mo, i would just like to point out that you mentioned your best friend is 4. see they can't all be that bad! how's it feel to still make me laugh from thousands of miles away? missing you guys terribly!!!!!

B. said...

I am going to miss you guys when you are so far away!! You'll have to come and visit...often!

Kate

Anonymous said...

i'm going to see transformers tonight! you are soooo jealous!!!