Monday, February 25, 2008

Meet the Kids

Since January I (kelly) have been working 2 days a week at a shelter for abused women and their children. It is one of only two shelters in Guatemala, the other having just opened in the capital a few months ago. The shelter provides food, clothing and a safe place for women who have nowhere else to go. They also provide health education and vocational training so these women improve the quality of life for them and their children. If you want to read more information about the organization go to their website at www.ahnh.org. I work with the children of the women who are not yet old enough to go to school. We play games, do art projects and go on field trips outside the shelter. I´ve been trying to teach some basic hygiene skills and creativity through art. The pictures below were taken on a field trip last week that we took to play soccer on ¨field¨ above the city. It was the first time that the kids had gone outside this year (2008) because other outings had been cancelled... The kids are great, very loving and trusting despite all they have been through.








5 comments:

A To Zucchini said...

hi-
cute kids!
is there something that we can bring to donate to this organization?
let me know-
love, mom

B. said...

Ah, the pictures almost make me like children...almost:) But I am sure that would all change the first time one peed on me:)

Thanks again for letting my women crash at your house. It was a lot of fun!

Katie said...

hey- definatly cute kids! sounds like you are doing really great work

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly & Mo

I don't know if you have heard of KIVA, but NPR has done a story on them recently. They specialize in microloans by partnering up everyday Americans with persons in other countries who need small business loans (usually less than $1000). The loans are interest free and are great for budding small businesses that need some cash infusion to get off the ground.
Check it out: http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=home

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.