Thursday, October 18, 2007

Waiting for the Holidays

One thing that we learned in training was to always look forward to something, anything. It could be as small as a trip into town to eat Taco Bell, but just have something on the horizon to look toward. Now that school is all but over for the year and I have some time to plan for next year (I mean procrastinate), I find myself needing things to look forward to.
Things I am looking forward to…

1. The Rockies winning the World Series

2. Having healthy bowels again

3. Dave coming to visit

4. Having too much fun in Antigua

5. Mom coming to visit

6. Thanksgiving in Guatemala

7. My next pay check (I am getting really hungry)

8. Someone to call from home

9. Seeing bolos asleep in the gutters

10. Going to Belize and being warm again

11. Christmas in a hut on the beach

12. School starting again

13. Riding my new bike around Salcajcá -- Thanks Uncle Sam

I would love to hear what people back home are looking forward to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you two again. Miss you and love you!
Kel

Dad & Tam said...

We're looking forwared to Dec 15th when the term gets over and I'll have time to cook again (even though your dad IS a pretty good cook). We're also counting down the time to our Guatemala visit (and planning on bringing pink flamingos to match your pink house - so don't repaint!)

Big hugs,
Tam & Dad

A To Zucchini said...

Hey you 2-

We're looking forward to seeing you 2! Hopefully in March for spring break!
We're also looking forward to reading all about your adventures in Guatemala and talking to you when you call us!
We love to see your photos and think about you all the time!

Lots of love, mom and dad

Anonymous said...

ah, great list.
Here's mine:
1. Finding a television in Guatemala with the world series so we can all cheer on the Rock Show together.
2. Turning the population of Salcaja into the biggest Rockies fans south of the border.
3. Experiencing, first hand, the "drunken horse races".
4. Getting all jacked up on Guatemalan hootch and making some bad decisions.
5. A week vacation (1st in over 2 years).
6. Making fun of your pink house while under its roof.
7. Perpetuating the "crazy gringo" stereotype.
8. Awesome Guatemalan food.
9. Not getting sick from awesome Guatemalan food.
10. Retirement

Shagali said...

Hi,

I'm Andy, an RPCV from Niger, West Africa (2002-2005). I'm working on a natural resource management/decentralization/indigenous rights group project for grad school on Guatemala and wanted to try to get some "insider" insight...from the front lines (as opposed to all the academic articles). If you'd be willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. My email is ajd349@nyu.edu--drop a line and I can respond with more specific questions, etc.

Hope your service is going well...and I hope the Rockies can rebound from the brutal performance yesterday.
Best,
Andy

B. said...

I am looking forward to spending Christmas with you guys in Belize...and hopefully Thanksgiving in Tactic!:)